Here’s what I believe:
- Everybody poops – In other words, all of humanity is equal. Sure, some of us are more equal, but when it comes down to it, everyone, at the core comes from the stuff that was whipped up in the Big Bang. We all poop, we all eat (when we can), we all have the same stuff inside, and none of us are more important than anyone else.
- Everyone should have an opportunity to go out into the back country and experience what real silence sounds and feels like. If you grow up surrounded by sound, it’s incredibly valuable to know what silence is. How can you learn to listen to yourself if you are constantly surrounded by extraneous sound?
- Kindness matters.
- I am not the center of the universe, and neither are you.
- We need to choose right now and not tomorrow. If we are fixating on the future and the what-ifs, can we really be paying attention to what’s going on right in front of us? I don’t want to miss anything important.
- Whatever you believe that gives you spiritual satisfaction is fine by me. Who gives a shit about other’s religion? Does it really change my day if my neighbor doesn’t believe what I believe? Nope. Not even a little. Get there how you need to get there. We’re all good.
- We need to pick up after ourselves. Our emotional messes, our garbage, our clutter in our houses, our effect on the earth – all are things that must be dealt with and cleaned up. Leave it better for those coming after us. Leave no trace, if you will.
- Be willing to cross gender lines. We miss out on a lot when we think we have to act one way. No one is all male or all female; especially not on the sexuality spectrum. Yin yang. Everything in the universe has a piece of its opposite inside.
- Everyone has had something super shitty happen to them; we may as well figure out how to be compassionate instead asshole-ish. When it’s your turn, you’ll want the support, believe me.
I think this is to be continued at a later date. Oh wait, I thought of one more:
- Puppies. ‘Nuff said.